Sooo…for the best part of 2 years, I have actively avoided talking about exercise/working out on my blog/platforms. Mostly because I did not want to deal with comments from HARRRRDCORE radical body positivity activists about ‘feeding into diet culture’ and ‘posting triggering content’, and while I can understand how some content/opinions can come across like that, the aim of my content is always something that will come from a self-care/positive angle.
ANYHOO…I’ve been doing Yoga for about a year and a half now guys and I’m loving it. Like singing, Yoga is something I do just for me, as I have found that it has greatly improved my mental health, especially when combined with a mindful app such as Headspace or Calm.
The subject of working out/exercise has always been a tricky one for me to navigate; I was one of those people in the gym who would feel embarrassed going to the gym for fear of people laughing and pointing at me, both of which has happened previously. It’s weird innit? You are teased for being fat and are told to lose weight, but when you go to work out, you are teased for being fat and working out. You can’t do right for doing wrong!
So I quit my membership and started walking the rounds around my local park which was alright at first, but then it started getting physically annoying. I don’t know know if anyone else has experienced this, but when I walk briskly for more than 30 minutes, my legs start to itch really badly. I have no idea why, but I soon became bored of it.
Cut to me downloading all of Beyonce’s live concert performances and learning all the choreography in my room. Dancing for me is so euphoric and I can do it for ages as it never feels monotonous, or like a proper ‘workout’.
My current routine consists of doing Beyonce’s Coachella performance (I’ll either do 45 mins or an hour of it) for cardio, then finish with 30 minutes of Yoga. For me personally, it’s a winning combo tbh.
Reasons I love Yoga and why I think it’s a great workout for plus size people
I’ll caveat this firstly by saying that you don’t HAVE to work out if you don’t want to; things like this are extremely subjective and nobody deserves to be shamed for choosing to whether to work out or not. It’s completely up to you! For me, I find that yoga really helps relax my mind and is a great stress reliever. I’m also trying to improve my flexibility, because you never know when being bendy will come in handy. 😀
- Your body is full of untapped potential. Yoga can help you feel good about your body and appreciate all that it can do – often more than you think. Over time, you’ll build flexibility, stamina and strength.
- It helps me celebrate my body. Yoga helps me to focus on my body in the moment and appreciate its daily efforts rather than focusing on the things I’m not so confident about.
- No pose is off limits. Any yoga position can be made accessible to larger bodies with the help of props and individual modifications. You can make yoga your own and design a routine that you find safe and enjoyable.
- It doesn’t take that long to do! Introducing yoga to daily life doesn’t have to be a time-consuming commitment. You can literally just do 5 mins a day, and that 5 mins can help focus your mind, boost your mood and strengthen your body.
- You can do it anywhere and wear anything. I do mine before going to sleep and sometimes in the morning if I have time in my room. I normally just throw on a pair or jogging bottoms or shorts, and combo it with the Parfait Active sports bra, which goes up to a size 42FF.
What I love about the Parfait bra is that is actually moves with your body instead of against it. We all (at least I do) know that struggle when you get a brand new sports bra and you’re trying to work out, but the soft plastic underwire keeps digging into the side fat and starts becoming an enemy of progress. It sucks, which is why I’m really impressed with the Parfait bra. It IS underwired, but it’s so comfortable that you hardly feel it there, plus it has adjustable straps for comfort. What more can you ask for tbh?
In conclusion, dancing to Beyonce’s live concerts makes you feel amazing and confident, and Yoga is amazing for stress relief. Parfait sports bras are supportive, stylish and comfortable. You don’t have to work out in public, you don’t have to have a gym subscription, and you are not obligated to share your journey or justify your weight to ANYONE.
*This post was created in collaboration with Parfait Lingerie. All views are my own, as per!