Valentines Day may be more than a month away but for some of us (myself included), the countdown starts now. It may be that you’re in a relationship and you’re on the hunt for the perfect gift or activity to do with your significant other that won’t end up breaking the bank, you could be single and on the search for a fun activity to do with your friends, or you’ll probably be like me, and waiting for the day to pass as quietly as possible.
This will be my first Valentine’s Day since coming out of a relationship, and like most holidays/special days that have passed over the last year, it will definitely be a difficult one for me and something I’m not especially looking forward to. I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to Valentine’s, having only celebrated it three times in my life with someone, but it was something that I really enjoyed doing, I won’t lie. It was nice to have a day where you were made to feel extra special and loved, and now that I don’t have that anymore, I have to focus on making myself feel that way.
One thing throughout the last year that definitely improved how I felt about myself, was buying lingerie. I can’t even begin to tell you guys how many things I purchased last year. Not only is it treating yourself to something nice, but it almost feels a bit empowering too, as a lot of these plus size lingerie styles did NOT exist ten years ago. Gone are the days where we had to make do with neutral, boring, full cup bras with thick straps and a thousand eye and hooks, oh no! Plus size women can now indulge in a bit of lace, balconette/mesh pieces and have our chance to feel alluring too.
The number one question I am always asked by readers is how can confidence be achieved when you’re plus size? One of the answers I always give is to treat yourself to a nice piece of lingerie and just stare in the mirror. Just stare and focus on how the lingerie makes you feel, how the delicate fabrics feel against your skin, and how gorgeous, alluring and powerful you look and feel. That’s exactly what I’ll be doing this Valentine’s Day.
Thanks to brands such as Parfait Lingerie, we have access to a diverse range of beautiful lingerie in all shapes, colours, and moulds with selected styles going all the way up to a J cup. The set I’m wearing here is the retro-inspired Marion bra and low-rise pants, with the bra featuring a cheeky keyhole design to boot. The set comes in a range of different colourways as do a lot of their pieces, and there’s just something so glamourous about black lace on beige – all I need now is a silk robe and furry perspex heels and I’ll be a bloody Queen of the manor.
So remember this Valentine’s Day, if you’re alone and you want to cheer yourself up, here are my top tips (which i’m writing for myself as well as for you guys too!):
- Invest in some beautiful lingerie and prance around in it for the whole evening.
- Write a letter to yourself, describing how awesome of a person you are.
- Take yourself out on a date – whether it be to the theatre, a walk or to Five Guys, do something that makes you happy.
- Spoil yourself; buy some new makeup, some clothes or a truckload of books. YOU DESERVE.
- Ask the people in your life things they love about you.
- Write a list of amazing things about you, then read it aloud to yourself in the mirror, while wearing sexy lingerie. It works mate.
- Above all, declare yourself a no self-judgement zone. This is probably the hardest one out of them all and the one I struggle with on a daily basis – replacing thoughts of self-loathing with that of self love. It’s difficult, and one may fall off the wagon many times (truuuust me), but it can be achieved in time!
*This post was created in collaboration with Parfait Lingerie, all words and opinions are my own!