Up until about three years ago, I always used to stay away from pink shades as I could never find one to suit me. This in itself was made even more annoying by the fact that I would see countless darker skinned ladies rocking the pink lip and look cracking wearing it. It was then that I found out all about tones and hues and all that jazz. A couple years, and several wasted ££’s later, I discovered that blue toned pinks were the key. In today’s post, I thought I would show you guys my favorite pink lip shades for dark skin!
A note: the swatches on my arm are in the same order as my lip swatches 🙂
1. Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss – Hot Shot. This lipgloss is a translucent baby pink that I think would suit most skin tones to be honest. It’s pretty sheer, so you need to have a few swipes at this to build up a colour.
2. NYX Mega Shine Lipgloss – Juicy Pink. As with the Bare Minerals, this NYX gloss is also a very sheet baby pink which is quite buildable. It can be worn on it’s own, or on top of another product.
3. MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer – Criminal. This is a slightly blue-toned matte lip gloss, not dissimilar to the Lime Crime Velvetines and the Anastasia Beverley Hills Matte Lip Creams of the world. It has a very velvety finish and dries fast, however it’s a struggle to take off! With matte lip creams/stains such as this, I normally find oil based makeup removers to be very effective. Or even a dab of sunflower/olive oil!
4. L’Oreal L’extraordinaire Liquid Lipstick – 401 Fuchsia Drama. This is probably my favourite of the bunch; this is another blue toned liquid lipstick that has a balm-like texture but offers a great shine. Longevity wise, it lasts a good 5/6 hours before I need to reapply and I just love how it looks against my skintone!
5. Revlon Colourburst Matte Balm- Unapologetic. Now, I’m still on the fence about this particular shade as in some lights, it seems to suit me and in others, I look a bit Nicki Minaj circa 2013! It’s a bright, pastel chalky matte baby pink colour that JUST falls shy of making my lips look ashy. It’s funny because I would recommend these shades for people who are either caramel toned, or very very dark. I think it would look GORGEOUS against ultra dark skin!
6. Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet – Ole Flamingo. I have completely fallen in love with the Bourjois Rouge Edition collection as most of the lip products are perfectly suited for us darker skinned ladies; even the nudes! Ole Flamingo is a cool toned pink that dries matte, with a velvet finish. Although unlike the MUA velvet lipstick, this one is MUCH easier to take off. It lasts for about 7 hours and leaves a lovely stain. Definitely up there with one of the faves.
7. Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet – Ping Pong. Ping Pong is my favourite within the Velvet collection; look how vibrant this pink is! It’s another matte lipstick with warm undertones and leaves a velvet finish. This is one for all skintones.
8. Make Up Forever Plexi Gloss – Fuchsia 109. I actually reviewed this a few weeks ago in this post here. Although the consistency is a little…gloopy, the colour payoff is gorgeous; rich, pigmented and has a decent longevity. It’s a cool toned pink with high shine coverage.
9. MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer – Atomic. As with the MUA lipgloss above, this is another matte lip cream that dries to a velvet finish. This is a warm pink and dries like cement on the lips, so get your oil based cleansers at the ready!
So there we have it! I hope this post has been somewhat informative and if there are any shades that I have missed out, please let me know in the comments below. What are your favourite shades??