10th March 2015
Mothers’ Day Idea – Have a bake with Jus Rol!
It’s Mothers’ Day (UK) this Sunday and I’m sure by now you guys have been researching the best gifts and bits and bobs to get your Mums. In addition to that however, how about treating her to a home cooked, slap up meal (or even baking her favourite dessert)? I’ve always preferred making gifts and doing things for people instead of buying gifts; not to say gift aren’t awesome, but It’s nice sometimes to to go that extra mile for someone to show you’re thinking of them.
I do love a bit of a bake, and I happen to know that one of my Mother’s favourite dishes is a good old Quiche Lorraine. Now, for some reason I’m just terrible at making a good dough for baking; even when I follow the instructions, it ends up turning into a sticky, ashy mess, which is why I’m a huge fan of the Jus Rol ready made pastry*
as it comes available in different types of pastry such as puff pastry, all butter puff pastry, shortcrust pastry and sweet shortcrust.
The following recipe is from the Jus Rol website ,
where they have loads of other sweet and savory recipes, as well as tips and tricks for baking.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 1 x 500g Block Jus-Rol™ shortcrust pastry Thawed
- 200g bacon Pancetta or lardons
- 4 Large eggs
- 200ml crème fraiche
- 50g gruyere cheese Finely grated
- Salt & black pepper and a little nutmeg to season
Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC for fan assisted ovens), Gas M 6.
- Gently sauté the bacon in its own fat until cooked and crisp and allow to cool.
- Roll out pastry to line a 23cm/9” flan ring or shallow flan tin.
- Beat together the eggs, crème fraiche, cheese and seasonings, scatter the cooled bacon in base of flan case, carefully pour in the egg mixture and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the custart is set and the pastry golden. Serve warm or cold.
For my first attempt, I sure am proud of myself! My Mum absolutely loved it and now wants me to make it again within the nearer future. Seeing as I have some puff pastry, I may attempt to make a Tarte Tatin or something fancy like that (LOLZ). Also, a new series of Masterchef will be here soon so I’ll probably be baking up a storm in no time!