31st August 2013
Crab & Sweetcorn Chowder | Recipe
I’ve always loved the sound of a chowder; it’s something that I’ve always wanted to make after having tried some in New York a few months ago. For those who don’t know what it is, Chowder is a seafood or vegetable based soup often served with milk or cream and there are many different popular varieties, however today I thought that I’d use crab.
This specific recipe is very low in fat, with loads of flavour and is very easy and quick to cook! Hope you enjoy. 🙂
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 1 leek; green and white parts separated and sliced
– 2 chopped carrots
– 850ml-1 litre of low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
– 1 large potato, diced
– 175g frozen sweetcorn
– 170g can of white crab meat, drained
– 4 tbsp light creme fraiche
– 1 tsp chopped chives
1. Put the onion, white part of the leek and carrots in a large pan and pour on a few tbsp of the stock. Cook over a medium heat for about 10 mins, stirring regularly until soft. Add a splash more stock if the vegetables start to stick.
2. Add the potato, green leek and most of the stock, and simmer for 10-15 mins, until the potato is tender. Tip in the sweetcorn and crab meat, then cook for a further 1-2 mins. Remove from the heat and stir in the crème fraîche and some seasoning. Add the rest of the stock if the soup is too thick. Sprinkle with the chives and serve with brown bread, if you like.
That’s it! Simple right? Have as a light lunch or serve with some wholemeal rolls for dinner. 🙂