Don't you just love Lentils and Spinach?!
I love the stuff, can't get enough of 'em separately, but together? Gold.
I found this recipe on the Weight Watches website and HAD to make it! So without further ado:
- A tin of chopped tomatoes (or plum tomatoes that are blended)
- One onion, diced finely
- Two cloves of garlic
- One Scotch Bonnet Pepper, cut finely
- 125g of Red Split Pea Lentils
- 1 Litre of Vegetable Stock
- A calorie controlled frying oil spray or olive oil
- 200g of fresh Spinach
- Half a tablespoon of Paprika and Cinnamon
- A full tablespoon of Coriander and Tumeric
1. Chop your onions and chilli finely (the pepper is quite hot so use as much as you're comfortable with!), crush the garlic cloves if you have a garlic crusher and set aside.
2) Heat the pan with the oil, then fry your onions on a mid heat for about 5 minutes or until they turn soft.
3. Add in the garlic, chilli and he spices and stir frequently for about 1 minute.
4. When this is done, pour in the Vegetable stock FIRST, then after another minute, add in the tomatoes. Bring the mixture to the boil about about 3 minutes.
5. Add in the lentils and then leave the sauce to simmer for about precisely 20 minutes. During this time you could..oh I don't know...watch half of Glee, do your nails, read some more posts on this here blog :P. I chose this:
I'm such a snacker. LOL
6. When the lentils have expanded and are looking all soft and gorgeous, add in your spinach and gently fold the spinach into the soup - do not stir as this will tear the leaves! Simmer until the leaves have wilted, as shown below:
7. When that's done, serve up! I think the main spice that brings it all together is definitely the Cinnamon. It's gorgeous! The soup is SO filling and yummy and is great as a light lunch or dinner. :) Happy cooking!