22nd July 2011
Homemade Scones w/ Whipped Cream & Jam
So today I randomly decided to make scones as I haven’t had them in aaaaages! I love scones as you can eat them any time of the day and are really filling. They are similar to biscuits in America but are a bit lighter.
I thought I’d share the recipe with you as I’ve tweaked it a bit to the traditional recipe.
I always measure using ounces so I’d suggest using a weight converter if you prefer using grams.
Homemade Scones with Whipped Cream & Jam
Scone Ingredients (for about 12 scones):
11oz Self Raising Flour
Pinch of salt
1oz Caster Sugar
5fl oz of Whole Milk
1 egg, beaten.
Whipped Cream Ingredients
1 cup of heavy cream
Quarter of a cup of sugar
Half of a Vanilla pod (or you can use a teaspoon of vanilla extract)
1. Heat your oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and lightly grease a baking sheet with some butter.
2. Mix together the flour and salt, then rub in the butter.
|Flour, salt and Butter mixed
3. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter (or a small kiddies cup) to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg (ONLY the top!). Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
6. Cool on a wire rack and then serve with butter or cream and jam!
1. Mix in the sugar with the heavy cream and stir very vigorously or if you have an electric mixer, even better. Add the vanilla. Done!